“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.”
2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)
– 0 – 0 – 0 –
Are you brave or fearful? Let’s see then, because in today’s world you could be afraid of:
- Losing your job, your vehicle, your home or your loved ones
- Hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes or other natural disasters
- Your children becoming involved in drugs or social substance abuse
- Being shot at or killed by psychotic individual
- Not having enough money to live off of when you retire
Fear surrounds us daily; it makes us anxious and super worried but most importantly it distracts us. Fear and by extension anxiety makes us doubt that God has our backs, that He is truly looking after us and that He has our best interests at heart. The devil knows this better than we do and that’s why he sneaks fearful thoughts into our minds, little by little, until we feel overwhelmed and disheartened with life.
I once read that ‘stress results when our perceived demands exceed our perceived resources” e.g. the hours we need to complete a project are more than we really have or our living expenses are more than our income. Yet, we have an unlimited amazing resource just waiting for us to tap into … not so?
Today’s verse says that God gives us a spirit which can defeat fear! We are not puny or weak; we are strong! We can move out every day in love by making a conscious disciplined decision not to let the devil get the better of us aka not to ever ever give up!
I’m encouraging you as I’m encouraging myself to do the following:
- Slowly open your eyes
- DO NOT JUMP OUT OF BED YET!
- Lay back, spend some quality time with God thanking Him for another day above ground and asking specifically for strength to handle whatever challenges you are going through
- Remember those who may not be as well off, and offer a prayer
- Now you can get up and read your devotional/bible; reflect on God’s word and how you can apply it to your life
- Then, physically set out on your day, knowing that it doesn’t matter what happens – God’s got this aka have a great week!
“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”
Isaiah 26:3 (KJV)
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)