Robyn #Rihanna Fenty. A little girl from Westbury Road in St. Michael, a parish on the 166 square mile island of Barbados. Unknown but with a big dream, her career started when she signed with Def Jam Records. Today she is 25 years old, a globally recognized recording artist, actress and fashion designer – all in addition to having her own line of fragrances.
What words do you use to describe her?
- Best selling digital artist of all time
- 180 million digital tracks sold worldwide
- 50 million albums sold worldwide
- Biggest artist on Facebook
- 10 million Instagram followers
- 33 million Twitter followers
- 6 Grammy Awards
- 11 Billboard Awards
- 6 American Music Awards
- Most viewed artist on YouTube
- Most VEVO certified videos
- 7 albums in 7 years
- First ever recipient of the 2013 #AMA Icon Award
Yes, Rihanna has achieved all of the above, and that in itself is absolutely amazing especially for someone so young, but the most important word I use to describe her is: BARBADIAN! Rihanna is 100% Barbadian (or Bajan as we are also known) and it’s a great mind-boggling goose-bumpy feeling to know that this little girl from this little rock is out there doing some unbelievably big things as she represents her country.
Here in Barbados we are so very proud of her accomplishments and prouder to be ‘Bajan’ especially today, when our country celebrates 47 years of independence. Congrats Rihanna on your latest award; continue to shine bright like a diamond … because you are the hope for other young people and the only time we definitely have is right now!